Simmons - 2013 Award Winner
An anonymous donor gave the league $250
to establish an award in Jim’s honor. The league will have
a plaque made up to be given to the annual winner and it will be
presented at the Annual Membership Meeting. The league will also
donate $25 to the American Institute for Cancer Research in Jim’s
- The award will be given to a player that exhibits good sportsmanship,
is an overall team player who is supportive of his team and the
league, and exhibits exemplary performance on the field; in essence,
one who best represents the spirit of Jim Smith.
- Players from both leagues will be eligible for the award.
- Managers and players can nominate players they feel deserve
the award throughout the year.
- Managers are particularly encouraged to nominate as they
have a unique view of the players, those on their teams and
- At the end of both seasons, managers will be specifically asked
if they have any submissions.
- League Commissioners will be the first to review and screen
- League Commissioners submit their top three to the Board of Directors (also known as Executive Committee).
- The Board of Directors will make the final selection before
the December Annual Membership Meeting
Earl Babbitt III
Jim Hannah - Read
Memory of Jim Smith (1944 - 2010)
Around The Corner
Poem by Charles Hanson Towne
Around the corner I have a friend,
In this great city that has no end,
Yet the days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it, a year is gone.
And I never see my old friends face,
For life is a swift and terrible race,
He knows I like him just as well,
As in the days when I rang his bell.
And he rang mine but we were younger then,
And now we are busy, tired men.
Tired of playing a foolish game,
Tired of trying to make a name.
"Tomorrow" I say! "I will call on
Just to show that I'm thinking of him",
But tomorrow comes and tomorrow goes,
And distance between us grows and grows.
Around the corner, yet miles away,
"Here's a telegram sir," "Jim died today."
And that's what we get and deserve in the end.
Around the corner, a vanished friend.