The 2016 Annual General Membership
Meeting of the Gwinnett Senior Softball, Inc. (GSS) league was held
on Saturday, December 3, at the Gwinnett County
Senior Center located at Bethesda Park.
The Senior Center opened at 9:00 a.m. The meeting began at 9:30
a.m. and ended at 12:00 noon. Breakfast
snacks and coffee were served.
Members were asked to make every effort to attend
the meeting so the Board of Directors could have an opportunity
to listen first hand to their concerns and thereby be better informed
and able to proceed with decisions impacting league play based on
the consensus of members in attendance. In accordance with the association's
by-laws, a quorum was needed (20% of the eligible
membership) for the election of officers. 84 members
attended the meeting - quorum was met (39% of the
eligible active paying membership - 215).
Special thanks to the following individuals
for helping to make the Annual Meeting a success!!
- Kerri O'Kelly and Joan Salman, Bethesda Senior Center - Meeting
room, microphone, screen, podium and coffee.
- Board Members - Breakfast snacks
- Randy Nisewonger – Projector
- Jim Hannah/Ben Wiechman – Setting up screen and projector
- Kathy Walker - Pictures
- Wayne Griffin - Combat Senior Bat / Combat Hats
- Ron King - (4) Frozen Turkey
- Herb McCaulla – 2 Baseball Legend Tin Pictures / 2 Bar
- John Daley – 2 Custom Designed League License Plates
- Dallas Howard - League Mailings
- Gwinnett Braves - 4 tickets to 2017 game, GBraves hats and
Cool Ray Field Blanket
- All the individuals who came early and helped in setting up.
Topics Discussed at the Meeting
- Old/Unfinished Business
- 2015 Meeting Minutes - approved by members present
- Special Guest - Jason Wright - Gwinnett Braves - League Night
Out – Friday, June 9, 2017
- 2016 Season
- Financial Report presented by Mike Grobman, Treasurer -
approved by members present. Any questions about the 2016
report can be directed to Mike via phone or email.
- Membership Update - Membership remains steady around 210-215
active paying members. Membership statistics were available
for members at the meeting.
- First and Second Half League Results and Tournament Team
results were available for members at the meeting.
- Recognition of Team Sponsors and the players who brought
in the sponsors.
- Recognition of League Commissioners, Team Managers, and
individuals who have helped out during the year.
Memoriam - League recognized the members that we lost in 2016.
- Jim Smith Sportsmanship Award – Sterling
- Harvey Schulman and past Jim Smith Award Winners made up
the 2016 Nomination Committee.
- Harvey read Sterling’s nominating statement from Marty
- A $25 donation in Jim Smith’s name will be made to
theAmerican Cancer Society.
- Election of Officers for 2017
- Bob announced that the Board will be reduced to 9 members
- President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer
are elected positions voted on by members.
- Two League Commissioners nominated by President and
approved by the Board – Term up to 4 years.
- Three At Large Members appointed by President and approved
by the Board – Term up to 4 years. At Large Members
serve as an Advisory Council and will step into a mandatory
position to continue operation of league.
- Bob Morrison, Mike Grobman and Doris Warpole agreed to be
re-nominated for President, Treasurer and Secretary, respectively.
- Ben Wiechman did not seek re-election as Vice President.
- Bill Grimes, Ed Davis and Ron King are stepping down as
- Three new board members were presented for 2017.
- Jim Hannah as the nominee for Vice President - approved
by members present.
- Rick Rhodes as National League Commissioner and Eurskine
Lyons as National League Member at Large - approved by
- Officers were elected to their respective positions - approved
by members present.
- 2017 Season
- Dri-Fit Shirts - Gary reviewed the cost of Dri-Fit
shirts and the fact they are form fitting. A straw vote
was taken to see how many members would be willing to
pay an additional $5.00 in league fees for Dri-Fit shirts.
- Gary also presented the option of having 1 shirt color
with all sponsors listed on the back of the shirt. This
will be discussed further with Team sponsors. Mixed review
from the members present.
- Final decision on league fees and shirts will be made
at the January Board Meeting.
- The year will be added to the Championship shirts.
- Field Availability - Softball field (Mon-Thurs); Baseball
field (Tues/Wed/Thurs) - Practices - Mon and Sat
- Gwinnett County maintenance during off season
- Reassess the drainage problem on the softball field
- Recheck the lights on both fields for placement
- Look at adding a safety net on the softball field from
LF to C
- Add a shelf in concession stand for the AED and scorebrains.
- Gwinnett County Improvement - New fiber optic security
system has been installed at Best Friend Park.
- Out of County Resident Fee - No increase in fee for 2017
- Light Fees - No increase in per field fee for 2017
- League Play - 2-3 week break between seasons
- One Pitch Annual Memorial Tournament between seasons to
be held on Thursday at Best Friend for league players only
- Break Out Discussion Sessions - American
League and National League
- Suggestions and Rule Changes from members
- League Commissioners ran break out sessions and recorded
consensus of members to present to Board in January to prepare
for 2017 season.
- General Information
- Gwinnett Senior Golden Games - March 29 to May 10, 2017
- Gwinnett County Sports Expo - Saturday, January 28 –
Bogan Park Community City
Door prizes were given out during the meeting and included the
top prize of $100 gift certificate from Dick's Sporting Goods.
Members can contact a member of the Board
of Directors if they have any questions about the topic to be
addressed at the meeting.
Poole - Jim Smith Sportsmanship Award
National League Breakout
American League Breakout